My writings don’t come out of the void. Here are my main inspirations. Hopefully you’ll find them as interesting as I did.
- Spandrell is probably the most reasonable thinker out there.
- Nick Lang‘s earlier stuff is mandatory reading. His recent posts are always entertaining, and his weekly link batch keeps you up to date.
- Moldbug is also mandatory reading, especially the Dawkins series.
- Jim is entertainingly provocative, and less depressing than the above.
- Scott Alexander almost gets it sometimes
- Hbdchick is the missing piece in your scientific education.
- This list is not perfect but it’s a good start.
- If you don’t have time for the above then at least read this:
- The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
- On The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell
- The Communist Manifesto
- The Capital by Marx
- The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
- The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes
- Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
- The Holy Bible
- The Way by Josemaria Escriva
- And you should find yourself a good book on Computability Theory
If you feel there’s something missing, feel free to comment.